Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Breaking News: Savaya Coffee is now Open

So I stopped in to speak with Burc ( a Turk ), owner of Savaya Coffee on the South/West corner of Broadway and Craycroft. He's been working on opening the coffee shop for nearly 18 months.

The exciting piece is that Burc, so far has the best understanding of what a roast profile means here in Tucson. He had just completed a nice El Salvador Bourbon and the beans were beautifully roasted just past the first crack by my estimation. No oil on the skin of the bean at all. By looking briefly, I'd give the beans a definite grade A rating and the roast was just as high. I saw only two scorch marks against a vat of beans. This is very promising.

Burc was kind enough to also hand me a sample which I'll grind in a couple of days to let the beans properly rest. Normally, this is about a 72 hour period, depending on how patient I am...
He also agreed to host a cupping in the future, nice!

I sampled his Sumatra freshly brewed, it was tanic in a bold sense and short on the pallet when hot. After a few moments the flavor changed quite dramatically to an almost pungent Meyer lemon flavor consistent with a Bourbon. Very unusual for a Sumatran, but was a very good cup.

Just based on this limited experience, this is my new hangout for a mid-day coffee. Good to have ya Burc!

1 comment:

  1. Gotta admit, I don't have a very discerning pallet, but my friend here is working on it. He has been bringing some of Burc's beans in for us at work and I will have to say I am really enjoying it.

    I started drinking coffee in the Navy so didn't care about taste, but I have found a whole new world as a swallow of Burc's roast changes flavors on me. It was a very new and interesting experience for me. Durn it, you now have me hooked. :)

    ReplyDelete